As an Amazon Associate, if you visit a link on our site and buy something, we may earn a commission
The PetSafe PIF00-12917 Stay And Play Wireless Fence is the newest wireless dog fence from PetSafe.
A cousin to the PIF-300, the Stay and Play has several features that the PIF-300 doesn’t: A larger coverage area, a rechargeable collar, and it’s safe and effective for smaller dogs.
With no wires to bury, you’ll enjoy a quick hassle free installation that will have your fence up and running in less than an hour.
And the Stay and Play offers complete portability which means that you can use it to contain your dog anywhere, anytime!
PetSafe PIF00-12917 Stay and Play Wireless Fence
The Stay and Play PIF00-12917 is one of PetSafe’s mainstay wireless DIY dog fences.
Here’s a rundown of what it has to offer:
- 5 levels of static correction plus a beep only mode for training
- A rechargeable receiver collar
- Can be used on dogs 5 lbs and up
- Will contain an unlimited number of dogs providing they each have their own receiver collar
- Boundary can be adjusted from a minimum diameter of about 44 ft to a maximum of about 210 ft — roughly 3/4 of an acre
- Containment area can be expanded to about 1.5 acres with the purchase of an additional transmitter
- Low battery warning
- Over Correction Protection guarantees that your dog will never receive a static correction for longer than 15 seconds
- Completely portable
- Alarms to indicate when your system has lost power and when your transmitter has stopped working
- Excellent customer service
With the exception of a screwdriver, pretty much everything you need to set up this PetSafe wireless dog fence comes in the box. Here’s what you get:
- Wireless transmitter with power adapter
- Receiver collar with rechargeable battery
- Charging adapter — can charge 2 collars at once
- Short and long contact points
- Contact point wrench
- Test Light Tool
- 50 boundary training flags
- Operating and Training Guide
In addition to that, PetSafe covers all their fences with a limited lifetime warranty which means that your fence is fully covered for the first year.
After that you get a deep discount on any repairs or replacement parts for the lifetime of your fence.
First Impressions Of This PetSafe Wireless Dog Fence
The Stay + Play Wireless Fence was designed with convenience and comfort in mind.
The small transmitter makes this wireless fence very portable, and the rechargeable collar is small enough to be comfortable on dogs as tiny as 5 lbs.
On top of that you get a system that can accommodate an unlimited number of dogs, has multiple compatible collars and is completely portable.
When you add it all up, the Stay and Play is a solid reliable wireless pet fence that’s definitely worth a long hard look.
What Dog Lovers Have To Say
Without a doubt two of the most loved features of the 12917 are its quick easy set up and the fact that it’s a portable dog fence.
Time and again users said that you just can’t beat being able to throw this fence into your vehicle and use it to provide a safe and effective containment area for your pooch no matter where your travels take you.
Other things dog lovers especially liked:
- Rechargeable receiver collar
- The collar is small and light enough to be comfortable for dogs as tiny as 5 lbs
- Can accommodate an unlimited number of dogs providing they each have their own receiver collar
- You can set the static correction level on each individual collar to match each dog’s size and temperament
- Over Correction Protection
- Low battery warning light
- Very low ongoing maintenance
- Completely portable
- Excellent customer service
But like any product, the Stay and Play is not without its issues.
What some dog lovers didn’t like:
- Fluctuating boundary line
- Random stimulations (infrequent)
- Issues with the receiver collar (few and far between)
Despite some minor concerns, the vast majority of dog lovers who followed the clear instructions outlined in the manual were completely satisfied with their purchase.
Installation Details For The Stay And Play Wireless Fence
As with any wireless pet containment system, setting up the PetSafe PIF00-12917 is a cinch.
You just plug in the transmitter, set your boundaries, fit your pet’s receiver collar and you’re ready to start the training process.
The manual explains how to find the ideal location for your transmitter. Once that’s done, setting it up is a snap.
There’s no on/off switch but once you plug it in, a solid blue light on the front of the transmitter tells you that you’re powered up and everything’s OK.
An indicator light is an important feature to look for in a pet fence because it tells you that everything is working before you open the door and let your dog out.
And with this wireless fence transmitter, one peek will tell you everything you need to know.
From there you only have 2 controls to set:
- Boundary Switch: Controls the strength of the signal and is set according to how large you want your coverage area to be.
- Boundary Control Dial: This is used to fine tune the size of your circular containment area.
There’s a handy reference chart in the manual that will help you determine where to set the boundary switch and boundary control dial in order to get just the right size containment area for your dog.
And that’s it — adjust 2 controls and you’re ready to go. It just doesn’t get any easier than this PetSafe instant fence!
It’s also worth noting that the Stay and Play’s transmitter has a couple of alarms that you won’t find on the PIF-300:
- Power Loss alarm: Audible alarm that sounds intermittently and will continue for up to 30 minutes in the event of a power loss to your transmitter.
- Transmission Failure alarm: A continuous audible alarm and indicates that your transmitter has malfunctioned.
If you’d like to see the Stay and Play set up in action check out this video:
How To Use The PetSafe PIF00-14288 Receiver Collar
The PIF00-14288 receiver collar comes standard with the Stay and Play and fits neck sizes of 6″-23″.
The collar weighs in at about 2.9 oz and its receiver unit measures 1.5″ long X 1.3″ tall X 2.5″ wide.
How light it is and how small the receiver unit is are the two things that ensure this electronic dog collar is comfortable for dogs as tiny as 5 lbs.
Although it’s OK to get the 14288 receiver collar wet, submerging it for any length of time can damage it.
So if you have one of those lovable canines who likes to dive after things, it’s best to take the collar off before they go into the water.
Without a doubt one of the things people love most about this wireless dog collar is that it’s rechargeable.
Charging the collar is straight forward and here’s what the reviews have to say about the charging process:
- It takes about 2-3 hrs to fully charge the collar
- The charge lasts about 3 weeks on average, depending on how often the collar is activated
The mode button turns the collar on or off and it’s also the button you’ll use to set your dog’s level of static correction. Turning the collar off when it’s not in use will preserve the life of the battery.
Once the collar is turned on there’s an indicator light that will let you know the status of your battery.
An indicator light is an essential feature on a receiver collar because it tells you, at a glance, how much juice your battery has.
With the PetSafe Stay and Play collar you’ll know just by the color of the light whether or not your dog’s receiver collar is good to go or needs recharging.
If the battery does need to be recharged this light acts as a low battery warning and flashes red.
As long as each dog has their own collar, the Stay and Play wireless system can accommodate an unlimited number of dogs.
And if you have more than one dog you won’t necessarily need to buy an extra charger because the charging adapter allows you to charge 2 collars at once.
The 14288 receiver collar is made out of durable nylon material and the receiver unit is a ‘pass through’ type.
That’s a really nice feature because it means that when the material wears out you don’t have to spend a lot of money on a completely new collar.
You can simply transfer the receiver unit onto any non metallic collar of your choosing, as long as it’s at least 3/4″ wide.
Out of the box your dog’s receiver collar is fitted with 1/2″ stainless steel contact points.
If your dog is of the extra furry variety, this fence kit also comes with 3/4″ contact points and a little tool to help change them.
In addition to the beep only training mode the Stay + Play’s receiver collar has 5 adjustable levels of static correction.
The mode button you use to set your desired level of static correction level is located on the inside of the collar between the metal contact points.
It’s a bit of a pain to get to, but its out of the way location means that there’s little chance that the correction level will inadvertently get changed once you’ve set it.
The level of static correction you choose depends on your dog’s temperament. There’s a handy chart in the manual that helps you figure out which setting is right for your canine buddy.
One more important feature I want to mention is the Over Correction Protection.
This feature guarantees that, on the off chance that your dog does escape the yard, the static correction won’t go on indefinitely.
It will automatically shut off after 15 seconds.
Optional Dog Fence Accessories For The Stay And Play Wireless Fence
Petsafe Wireless Transmitter – PIF00-13210:
Here are the key details about the PIF00-13210:
- It’s about the size of a half gallon tub of ice cream and weighs around 2.5 lbs.
- A second transmitter allows you to add an extra 3/4 of an acre onto your containment area.
- 2 transmitters create overlapping circles and will extend your dog’s outdoor playpen to just under 1.5 acres
Charging adapter – RFA-463:
Here are the key details about this charging adapter.
- Used to charge the Stay and Play wireless receiver collar.
- Will charge 2 collars at once.
Tip: Keep in mind that this is the same charging adapter that comes with your fence kit and it can charge 2 collars at once, so you’ll only need to purchase a second charger if you need more than 2 collars.
Boundary Flags – RFA-2:
According to the manufacturer 50 flags should be enough to cover about 3/4 acre.
If you need to extend your dog’s containment area beyond 3/4 of an acre, in addition to an extra PetSafe transmitter you’ll also need more flags for the training process.
Each bundle of 50 flags will give you about 3/4 of an acre of coverage.
Tip: Ordering additional flags when you purchase your fence is convenient, but a number of people said that they were able to find flags at their local lawn and garden store that worked just as well and were a bit cheaper.
PetSafe Wireless Replacement Collars:
PetSafe Stay and Play Collar – PIF00-14288:
Here’s the key information you need to know about this collar.
- It’s rechargeable
- Can be used on dogs as small as 5lbs
- Has 5 adjustable correction levels plus a beep only mode for training
- Comes standard with the Stay and Play
PetSafe Stubborn Dog Wireless Receiver Collar – PIF00-13672:
If one of your dogs is of the stubborn or hard to train variety, this is the collar for them.
- It’s rechargeable
- It can be used on dogs 5 lbs and up.
- It has 5 levels of static correction plus a beep only training mode for training
- The 5 levels of static correction are delivered at about double the intensity of regular PetSafe receiver collars
- The higher levels of intensity are designed specifically for stubborn dogs or dogs that are harder to train
Here’s the key information you need to know about this product.
- It takes disposable batteries
- It’s recommended for dogs 8lbs and up
Electric Fence Dog Training
Fact: Proper training is the most critical aspect of any electric dog fence.
Fact: Improper training is the #1 reason that electric dog fences ‘fail’.
Because training is so important, I’ve written an entire article detailing how to train your dog to an electric dog fence.
And if you’re seriously considering an electric dog fence this is one article you won’t want to miss! 😉
ToyReviewExperts.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.