As an Amazon Associate, if you visit a link on our site and buy something, we may earn a commission
The PetSafe PIG00-13661 In-Ground Fence is PetSafe’s updated entry-level containment system and it’s a solid reliable fence that comes at an affordable price.
For an affordable price, you get a transmitter that’s powerful enough to cover up to 25 acres, a receiver collar that’s known for its durability, and a system that’s safe and effective for any dog in the 8-125 lb weight range.
PetSafe PIG00-13661 In-Ground Fence
The PIG00-13661 is a dependable in-ground dog fence that comes at an affordable price.
Here’s what you get with the 13661:
- 4 adjustable levels of static correction plus a beep only training mode
- Run Through Prevention increases the static correction as your dog gets closer to the boundary wire
- Anti Linger function prevents your dog from lingering in the Warning Zone and draining the battery
- Safety Time Out — Automatically stops the static correction after a maximum of 30 seconds
- Low battery warning indicator
- Visual and audible wire break alarms
- Can cover up to 25 acres with additional wire (sold separately)
- Good for dogs in the 8lb-125lb range
- Can handle an unlimited number of dogs
- Multiple compatible collars to match the temperaments and size of all your dogs
- Surge protector included in the fence kit
- Excellent customer service
In addition to that you’ll get a full warranty for the first year and PetSafe’s ‘limited lifetime warranty’ after that.
Any component that needs to be replaced within the first year will be free and after that you’ll get all your replacements parts at about 30% – 50% off the full retail price.
Along with that you get free shipping and a 90 day warranty on the replacement part.
Everything you need to get this underground dog fence installed is included in the kit as follows:
- Transmitter with power adapter and mounting bracket
- Receiver collar with RFA-67 battery
- 50 boundary training flags
- 500 feet of 20-gauge boundary wire, which is enough to cover about 1/3 of an acre. To reduce the chance of wire breaks, a lot of people upgrade to a heavier 14g or 16g wire at the time of purchase. If that interests you, check out the options for a dog fence wire upgrade on Amazon.com here.
- Wire nuts
- Gel-filled capsules
- Surge protector
- Test light tool
- Operating and training guide
First Impressions Of This PetSafe Underground Fence
The PIG00-13661 is a good fence that comes at a very reasonable price. And for that budget price, you get quality features like Run Through Prevention, Anti Linger and an audible wire break alarm.
The fence comes with enough wire to cover about 1/3 of an acre. But with the purchase of additional wire and flags, which are sold separately, you can expand your dog’s containment area up to 25 acres.
To sweeten the deal even more, it also comes with a dependable receiver collar that has 4 levels of static correction plus a beep only training.
However, like anything the 13661 isn’t perfect. The one glaring downside is that the collar is non rechargeable and uses a disposable battery, which will add to the ongoing maintenance costs of your fence over time.
But if you can live with that limitation, this in-ground fence is definitely one of the best bargain DIY dog fences on the market.
What Dog Lovers Have To Say
The PIG00-13661 hasn’t been around for as long as some of the other underground fences, but the reviews online are extremely positive no matter where you look.
People are impressed with the 13661’s overall reliability, high quality safety features, detailed instruction manual, and excellent customer service.
Add to that the affordable price tag and it’s easy to see why there are so many satisfied customers out there!
What Dog Lovers Especially Liked:
- Completely customizable to any shape and size so will fit your yard perfectly
- Clear well defined boundary
- Run Through Prevention
- Safety time out
- Anti linger
- Can be used with unlimited number of dogs
- Can be used with other PetSafe collars
- Surge protector included in fence kit
- Excellent customer service
What some dog lovers didn’t like:
- Transmitter has no built in battery backup
- Collar uses disposable batteries
Overall, the PIG00-13661 is a dependable system with an affordable price tag.
Click here for the current price of the PetSafe PIG00-13661 In-Ground Fence on Amazon.com
Installation Details For The PIG00-13661
Installing a wired dog fence is no easy task but compared to similar models the 13661 is no more or less difficult.
I’m not going to go into the details here but in this section I do want to tell you about one of the main components: the transmitter.
The RFA-482 transmitter is the heart of this system and it’s small, lightweight and easy to use.
The transmitter has no on/off switch; once you plug it in the power’s on and you’ll see 2 lights that let you know:
- Your fence has power
- There are no issues with your boundary wire loop
Indicator lights are an important feature on an underground dog fence because they tell you, at a glance, that everything is working properly. Simply glancing at this PetSafe transmitter tells you all you need to know before you let your dog out.
Here are the other controls you’ll find on your transmitter:
Boundary Control Switch: Used to adjust the size of your containment area. You set it according to how much dog fence wire you use and there’s a chart in the manual that tells you which setting is appropriate for various lengths of wire.
Boundary Width Control Knob: Used to adjust how far away from the wire your dog’s receiver collar will activate. With the 13661 that distance can be anywhere from about 2-13 feet.
What You Need To Know About The PUL-275 Receiver Collar
The PUL-275 receiver collar comes standard with this fence and here are a few fast facts:
- It weighs in at about 2.8 oz
- It fits neck sizes of 6″-28″
- The receiver unit measures 2.5″ long X 1.3″ high X 1.3″ wide
The manufacturer recommends this collar for any dog weighing 8lbs and up.
But many people said that the PUL-275’s static correction levels just aren’t strong enough for very large dogs (ie 125+ lbs), stubborn dogs, and breeds with a high tolerance to pain, such as Pit Bulls and Mastiffs.
So we’d say the weight range for the PUL-275 collar is 8-125lbs.
As I’ve already mentioned, the downside to this collar is that it requires a disposable RFA-67 battery.
PetSafe’s proprietary RFA-67 battery will last anywhere between 3-4 months and the receiver indicator light on the collar acts as a low battery warning, flashing red to let you know when it’s time to change the battery.
The manufacturer calls the PUL-275 waterproof but we’d say it’s more water resistant because while it does OK when it gets wet, submerging it for any length of time may cause damage.
If the strap material does wear out you don’t have to spend a lot of money on a completely new collar — you can just slip the receiver unit off and transfer it onto any non metallic strap that’s at least 3/4″ wide.
The collar is fitted with two stainless steel contact points that must touch your pet’s skin at all times in order to deliver the static correction when necessary.
Out of the box, the receiver collar is fitted with the short (1/2″) probes. But if your dog is of the extra furry variety, longer probes (3/4″) are also included in the kit along with a little tool to change out the probes.
In addition to a beep only training mode, the PUL-275 has 4 adjustable levels of static correction.
As an added safety feature there’s a plastic cover that has to be removed to access the correction level button and this ensures that you can’t accidentally hit the button and inadvertently change the level of static correction your dog is receiving.
3 important safety features of the PetSafe PUL-275 collar:
Safety Time Out:
- Automatically stops the static correction after 30 seconds
- Guarantees that your dog will never receive an electric stimulation for longer than 30 seconds
Run Through Prevention:
- Automatically increases the level of electric stimulation as your dog gets closer to the boundary wire
- Discourages your furry friend from crossing the boundary and escaping the yard
Anti Linger Prevention:
- Automatically delivers a static correction any time your dog lingers in the Warning Zone for longer than 2 seconds
- Discourages your dog from hanging out in the Warning Zone in an attempt to drain the battery
Optional Dog Fence Accessories For The PetSafe PIG00-13661 In-Ground Fence
PetSafe Wire and flag kit – PIG00-13769:
There’s enough 20 gauge wire and splicing supplies included in your fence kit to cover about 1/3 of an acre.
If you have a larger area to cover this PetSafe wire and flag kit will expand your coverage to just under 1 acre.
Tip: Because 20g wire is quite thin and fragile many people chose to upgrade to a heavier 14g or 16g wire right from the get-go. They said that more money upfront saved them headaches in the long run.
If you’re interesting in a wire upgrade, you can check out the options for a dog fence wire upgrade on Amazon.com here.
The chart below tells you approximately how much total boundary wire you’ll need. Keep in mind that the amount may vary depending on your layout.
Dog Fence Staples:
These staples are ideal for above ground installations where you want to secure your boundary wire to:
- A pre-existing above ground traditional fence
- The ground
PetSafe Boundary Flags – RFA-2:
Your fence kit comes with 50 boundary flags which will be enough to cover about 3/4 of an acre during the training process. If you need to cover a larger area, this bundle contains 50 flags.
Tip: All the fencing supplies can probably be purchased at your local home improvement or hardware store and doing it that way might end up saving you some money. 😉
PetSafe Replacement Collars:
You can have as many dogs as you want on the 13661 but each of them has to have their own collars.
PetSafe has a number of compatible collars so you can find one to match the size and temperaments of all your canine companions.
PetSafe Deluxe UltraLight Collar – PUL-275:
- Comes standard with the PIG00-13661 in-ground fence
- Is effective on dogs in the 8-125 lb weight range
PetSafe Elite Little Dog Collar – PIG00-10778:
In addition to being packed with features, the Elite Little Dog collar is the only collar on the market that’s light and small enough to be comfortable on dogs as tiny as 5 lbs.
Weighing only 2.5 oz, it fits neck sizes of 6″ – 16″. Among other things it offers 4 levels of static correction plus a beep only training mode and a low battery warning light.
PetSafe Stubborn Dog Collar – PRF-275:
If one of your dogs is especially stubborn the PetSafe Stubborn Dog collar is the one for them.
Although the manufacturer says that this collar is good for dogs 8lbs and up, most users said they didn’t use it on any dogs under about 20lbs.
It’s the largest and strongest collar on the market and it’s meant for breeds who may not respond to regular strength static corrections such as Pit Bulls, Boxers and Hounds.
Tip: If you’re having trouble deciding which collar to get for any additional dogs you want on the PIG00-13661 in-ground fence system, PetSafe customer service can answer all your questions and help you make the right choice.
Other Optional Accessories For The 13661:
PetSafe RFA-67 batteries:
These are Petsafe’s proprietary brand and are dependable batteries. They’re widely available online or at larger pet stores like PetSmart.
PetSafe Collar Accessory Pack – RFA-529:
- Contains everything you need to replace anything on the PUL-275 receiver collar.
- Includes 1 pair of short and 1 pair of long probes.
Electric Fence Dog Training
Training is an essential part of your in-ground fence purchase and without a doubt, the success or failure of your fence will depend on how well you train your four legged friend to their new pet containment system.
It’s such a crucial element that I’ve dedicated an entire article to explaining how to train your dog to an electric dog fence.
Click here for the current price of the PetSafe PIG00-13661 In-Ground Fence on Amazon.com
ToyReviewExperts.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.