As an Amazon Associate, if you visit a link on our site and buy something, we may earn a commission
Is your dog as stubborn as the day is long? Have you tried pretty much everything to keep him in the yard and still somehow he manages to escape?
Then the PetSafe PIG00-10777 Stubborn Dog In-Ground Fence may be the ideal solution for you!
The Stubborn Dog Fence has the largest and strongest receiver collar on the market and hundreds of users agree that it’s one of the most effective collars for all those tough to train and difficult to contain dogs.
The higher intensity correction levels are delivered at about twice the strength of regular collars.
And that’s why correction gets the attention of dogs with a high tolerance to pain or breeds that are notoriously stubborn.
PetSafe PIG00-10777 Stubborn Dog In-Ground Fence
Since it first hit the market about 10 years ago the PIG00-10777 has been the go-to fence when it comes to effectively containing really stubborn and very large dogs.
Here’s what the Stubborn Dog in-ground dog fence has to offer:
- 4 adjustable levels of static correction plus a beep and vibrate only mode for training
- Low battery warning
- Run Through Prevention progressively increases the level of electric stimulation as your dog gets closer to the boundary wire to discourage them from running through the fence line
- Safety Time Out automatically stops the static correction after a maximum of 30 seconds
- Anti Linger Prevention automatically delivers a static correction if your dog lingers in the Warning Zone for longer than 2 seconds
- Safe and effective for dogs over 20 lbs. Most user reviews recommend it for dogs in the 50-200 lb range
- Can handle an unlimited number of dogs as long as they each have their own receiver collar
- Multiple compatible collars so you’ll be able to mix and match to find just the right collar no matter what size or temperament your dogs are
- Visual and audible wire break alarms
- Can cover up to 25 acres with additional dog fence wire (purchased separately)
- Surge protector included in kit
- Excellent customer service
You’ll also get PetSafe’s ‘limited lifetime warranty’ which guarantees any replacement part you need within the first year will be free.
After that you’ll receive a huge discount (basically you’ll only pay about 30% of the full retail price) on any part you need replaced. Along with that, you’ll get free shipping and a 90 day warranty on the replacement part.
The kit contains everything you need to set this underground dog fence up. Here’s what you get:
- PetSafe transmitter with power adapter
- PRF-275 Stubborn Dog receiver collar fitted with 1/2″ metal contact points
- 9-Volt battery for collar
- 50 boundary training flags
- 500 feet of 20 gauge boundary wire, which is enough to cover about 1/3 of an acre. To reduce the chance of wire breaks, a lot of people upgrade to a heavier 14g or 16g wire at the time of purchase. If that interests you, check out the options for a dog fence wire upgrade on Amazon.com here.
- 2 – Wire nuts
- 2 – Gel-filled capsules
- PetSafe LP-4100 surge protector
- Test light tool
- Operating and training guide
- Mounting Bracket
First Impressions Of The PetSafe Stubborn Dog Fence
Here’s a rundown of the most common breeds the Stubborn Dog is used on:
- Guardian breeds such as German Shepherds, Dobermans, and Boxers
- High prey drive breeds such as Hounds, Retrievers, and Spaniels
- High pain threshold dogs such as Mastiffs and Pit Bulls
- Large powerful dogs such as Great Danes and Huskies
- Notoriously stubborn dogs such as Bulldogs and Jack Russell Terriers
If your lovable pooch falls into any of those categories, the vast majority of user reviews say you simply won’t find a more effective containment system than the 10777.
What Dog Lovers Have To Say
I love to read stories about people who have been able to solve a big problem with a great product and the reviews on the PetSafe Stubborn Dog are chalk full of those types of stories!
Without a doubt, the overwhelming majority of people using this underground fence for dogs absolutely love it.
But what struck me the most was how many people went from thinking nothing in the world would work on their dog to being completely satisfied by how effectively the 10777 contained their furry friend.
Whether their dog was a digger, a jumper, a master escape artist, a chaser, or just one of those dogs who says “I’m big and I don’t want to listen to you”, time and again the Stubborn Dog worked like a charm!
Here’s What Dog Lovers Especially Liked:
- Completely customizable to any shape and size so will fit your yard perfectly
- Covers up to 25 acres with additional dog fence wire (sold separately)
- Clear, well defined containment perimeter
- Can be used with unlimited number of dogs
- Can be used with other PetSafe collars
- Run Through Prevention
- Safety Time Out
- Anti Linger Prevention
- Low battery warning indicator
- The receiver collar takes non proprietary 9v batteries that can be purchased anywhere
- Excellent customer service
Here Are The Things Some Dog Lovers Didn’t Like:
- Too strong for dogs under about 20 lbs
- A few people said that their receiver collar strap wore out too quickly
- Collar is non rechargeable
- No preinstalled battery backup for transmitter
But the vast majority of dog lovers who installed this fence were completely satisfied with the result.
Loads of features and attention to safety are what makes this in-ground system the go-to favorite when it comes to keeping all those hardheaded, but very lovable furry friends out of the street and safely in the yard!
Installation Details For The PIG00-10777
Across the board one of the things that users love about in-ground dog fences is that they are completely customizable!
Bury the wire in the ground, attach it to an existing fence or staple it to the ground.
Run it over a cement driveway or tuck it into your vinyl siding and run it up the side of your house and through your eavestroughs…the possibilities are endless.
But that customization comes at a price: It’s going to take some sweat and elbow grease to get this fence up and running.
But compared to similar DIY dog fence models, the 10777 is no more or less difficult to install.
While I won’t go into the details of the installation process here, there’s one component I want to briefly touch on and that’s the transmitter.
Sometimes called the ‘base’ of the system, the transmitter is the heart of any electric dog fence.
While some transmitters are large and bulky, the RFA-482 transmitter that comes standard with the Stubborn Dog is small, lightweight and easy to use.
There’s no on/off switch on this transmitter; after it’s plugged in 2 indicator lights will come on to let you know :
- Your boundary loop is intact (ie there are no breaks in your wire)
- Your system has power
Indicator lights are an important feature of any dog fence because they tell you, at a glance, that everything is OK with your system before you let your dog out.
In addition to the visual wire break alarm, the 10777 also has an audible alarm that will alert you to issues with your underground fence wire.
From there you have a couple of controls to set:
- Boundary Control Switch: This switch is used to adjust the size of your containment area and you set it according to how much wire you’re using.
- Boundary Width Control Knob: This setting determines how far away from the fence line your dog’s receiver collar will activate. With the Stubborn Dog you can adjust that distance from about 1 foot to 12 feet.
What You Need To Know About The PRF-275 Receiver Collar
The PetSafe PRF-275 receiver collar is the strongest and largest receiver collars on the market!
And there’s no doubt about it — this collar definitely gives you tons of bang for your buck, not only in size and strength but also in features.
Weighing in at a whopping 6.5 oz it fits neck sizes 6″-28″ and the receiver unit on this collar measures 2.5″ long X 1.5″ high X 1.5″ wide.
As I’ve already mentioned, this collar is specifically meant to be used is on dogs who simply will not respond to a regular strength static correction.
Although the manufacturer states the collar is good for any dog over 8 lbs, the vast majority of people who wrote a review on the Stubborn Dog were using it on dogs in the 50 to 200 lb range.
But don’t get me wrong…there are lots of people who had smaller dogs on this system.
But in those cases, they purchased the fence specifically to be able to contain a larger or more difficult to train dog and purchased additional regular strength collars for their other smaller or easier to train buddies.
If you live in a multiple dog household and you have a small dog, check out the accessory section below.
There you’ll find information on a collar that can be used for dogs as small as 5lbs.
Although the manufacturer claims that it’s waterproof, I’d call it more water resistant because while it’s OK to get it wet and dogs swim with this collar on all the time, it’s not recommended for prolonged time in the water and it shouldn’t be submerged to any depth.
There’s no on/off switch on the collar; once you put the battery in the collar’s on.
And speaking of batteries, the PRF-275 uses a regular non proprietary 9v battery which means that you can get a replacement battery anywhere batteries are sold.
The life of the battery depends on how often your dog tests the boundary but most people said they got anywhere between 3-4 months out of one battery.
But you won’t have to worry about remembering when you last replaced the battery because the PRF-275 receiver collar is equipped with a low battery warning light to let you know it’s time to change the battery.
As I’ve already said, one of the biggest complaints I found in the Stubborn Dog Fence reviews was that the nylon material the strap is made out of didn’t last very long, sometimes wearing out within the first 6 months to a year.
Fortunately the receiver unit on the collar the ‘pass through’ type so if the material wears out before the receiver unit does, you can transfer it to any other non metallic collar as long as it’s at least 3/4 of an inch wide.
Out of the box the PRF-275 collar comes fitted with 1/2″ metal contact points but longer 3/4″ prongs are also available if your dog is of the extra furry variety.
As an added safety feature, there’s a plastic cap that has to be removed to access the Correction Level Button. This ensures that you can’t hit the button and accidentally change the level of stimulation your pet is receiving.
There are 4 progressive levels of static correction on the Stubborn Dog collar and in addition to the electric stimulation, this collar will also vibrate at every correction level.
According to consumer reviews, the vibration is a great feature for a couple of reasons:
- Because of the collar’s waterproof features, sometimes the beep simply isn’t loud enough to get your dog’s attention. So the vibration added to the warning beep ensures your pet gets the message.
- Some breeds of dogs like Hounds and Retrievers can get so intent on something that they’re able to block out what’s going on around them. In these instances, the vibration gives them an extra level of warning before they get any kind of electric stimulation.
The PRF-275 also has a beep and vibrate only option which is ideal for training.
3 Additional Safety Features Of The PRF-275 Receiver Collar:
Safety Time Out
- Guarantees that no matter what, your dog will never receive an electric stimulation for longer than 30 seconds
- Automatically stops the static correction after 30 seconds
Run Through Prevention
- Designed to ensure that any attempt to leave the containment area is met with the maximum level of static correction
- The closer your dog gets to the boundary wire, the stronger the electric stimulation becomes
- Prevents your dog from lingering in the Warning Zone in an attempt to drain the battery
- Automatically delivers a static correction anytime your pet lingers in the Warning Zone for longer than 2 seconds
Optional Dog Fence Accessories For The PetSafe PIG00-10777 Stubborn Dog In-Ground Fence
PetSafe Wire and flag kit – PIG00-13769:
Your fence kit comes with enough wire to cover about 1/3 of an acre.
This wire and flag kit contains everything you need to extend your coverage to a total of about 1 acre.
The table below gives you an idea of how much wire you’ll need.
Dog Fence Staples:
These are excellent for above ground installations where you need to secure your boundary wire to an already existing fence or to the ground.
Tip: You can probably find all the fencing supplies you need at your local home improvement or hardware stores and you might even save yourself some money going that route. 😉
PetSafe Boundary Flags – RFA-2:
Your fence kit comes with 50 flags which is enough to cover about 3/4 of an acre.
If you’re to extend your containment area beyond that you’ll need more flags. Each bundle contains 50 flags.
PetSafe Replacement Collars:
If you want to have more than one dog on this system, here are your options for additional collars:
PetSafe Stubborn Dog Collar – PRF-275:
If you’re the owner of more than one dog that needs the higher intensity correction levels, you’ll need to purchase additional PRF-275 collars.
As I’ve already said, the majority of people using the PRF-275 collar had it on dogs in the 50-200 lb range.
PetSafe Elite Little Dog Collar – PIG00-10778:
Designed for dogs 5 lbs and up, the Elite Little Dog collar weighs only 2.5 oz, fits neck sizes of 6″-16″.
The receiver unit that measures 2.25″ long X 1.0″ high X 1.0″ wide.
In addition to that, it also has 4 levels of regular intensity correction plus a beep only training mode and a low battery warning light.
Here’s Another Accessory To Consider:
PetSafe Replacement Collar Accessories – RFA-529:
If you need the longer collar probes that I mentioned earlier, you can’t purchase them on their own – you have to buy an accessory pack.
Along with a set of both the long and short metal contact points, the RFA-529 Accessory Pack also contains everything else you’ll need to replace any component on your pet’s receiver collar.
Tip: We all know that dogs, especially the large variety, can get quite boisterous while playing so it’s not hard to see how that type of roughhousing could lead to a lost prong or dislodged O-ring.
For that reason, many consumers added this onto their order when they bought the fence kit so that they’d have everything on hand to repair the collar when they needed to.
Having this Accessory Pack on hand will ensure that your dog’s collar will always have what it needs to ‘take a licking and keep on ticking’! 😉
Electric Fence Dog Training
Any way you slice it, training is the most important part of any electric dog fence. Without proper training your furry friend won’t understand their boundaries and the consequences of getting too close to those boundaries.
Because it’s so important I’ve written a separate article detailing how to train your furry friend to an electric dog fence.
ToyReviewExperts.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.