Are you looking for a way to safely and effectively contain your tiny canine buddy?
Then you’ll want to take a hard look at the PetSafe PIG00-10773 Elite Little Dog In-Ground Fence.
For around $200 you’ll get a collar that’s totally comfortable for dogs as small as 5 lbs, a solid transmitter that’s powerful enough to cover up to 25 acres and a dependable system that will keep your lovable little ball of fur safe and secure.
PetSafe PIG00-10773 Elite Little Dog In-Ground Fence
For almost 25 years PetSafe has devoted their time and effort to producing top notch pet products.
When you combine that with cutting edge technology and superior customer service it’s easy to see why this company is at the top of a very competitive pet product industry.
And the Elite Little Dog in-ground fence is no exception.
What’s unique about this fence is that it’s the only underground dog fence on the market that’s been designed specifically for all those lovable itty bitty furry friends.
What does the Elite Little Dog offer?
- 4 adjustable levels of static correction plus a beep only mode
- Run Through Prevention helps prevent your dog’s escape from the yard
- Safety Time Out ensures your dog will never receive a static correction for longer than 30 seconds
- Anti Linger function prevents your dog from intentionally draining the battery
- The ability to have an unlimited number of dogs on the system
- Multiple compatible collars which means you’ll be able to find a collar no matter what size or temperament your dogs are
- Low battery warning
- Audible and visual wire break alarms
- Surge protector is included in the fence kit
- Excellent customer service
Along with that you get PetSafe’s limited lifetime warranty which means that within the first year any part you need to replace will be free. After the first year they give you replacement parts at a deep discount — anywhere from 30%-50% off the full retail price and the shipping is free.
With the exception of tools, everything you need to get this PetSafe underground fence up and running is included in the fence kit.
Here’s what you get:
- PetSafe Elite Little Dog transmitter
- Elite Little Dog receiver collar
- LP-4100 surge protector
- 500 feet of 20 gauge boundary wire — enough to cover about 1/3 of an acre
- 2 Gel-filled capsules and 2 wire nuts for waterproof splices
- 1 PetSafe RFA-188 battery
- Test Light Tool
- 50 training flags
- Mounting bracket
- Operating and Training Guide
First Impressions Of The Elite Little Dog In-Ground Fence
The receiver collar is one of the most important things to consider when you’re shopping around for any electric dog fence. There are a ton of collars on the market that are good for medium and large size dogs but if you have one of those lovable little fur balls it’s really important to ask yourself 2 questions:
- Is the receiver unit small enough to be comfortable?
- Is the weight of the collar appropriate?
With the PIG00-10773 the answer to both those questions is an unequivocal YES!
Not only does the Elite Little Dog have the smallest and most lightweight collars on the market, but PetSafe has put that collar into a fence that gives you everything you need to feel good about using it on your dog.
There’s no doubt about it: If you’re in the market for a solid underground pet fence that will keep your tiny dog safely contained, the Elite Little Dog is definitely the one for you!
What Dog Lovers Have To Say
Without a doubt the overwhelming majority of people using this in-ground system simply can’t say enough good about it.
What struck me most were all the comments made about how relieved people were to have finally found an electric dog fence that had a receiver collar small enough to be comfortable for their pint-sized furry friends while at the same time being safe and effective.
Here are the other things dog lovers especially liked:
- Completely customizable to any shape and size so will fit your yard perfectly
- Clear, well defined boundary
- Collar can be turned off when not in use to preserve batter life
- Safety time out
- Run Through Prevention
- Anti linger
- Can be used with an unlimited number of dogs
- Can be used with other PetSafe collars – making it safe and effective for dogs anywhere from 5-200+ lbs
- Surge protector included in fence kit
- Excellent customer service
Overall there just weren’t many complaints about the 10773.
Here are the few things some dog lovers didn’t like:
- Proprietary battery for the receiver collar
- No pre-installed battery backup for transmitter
So is the PetSafe Elite Little Dog fence worth the price?
The only other fence on the market that’s safe and effective for dogs as small as 5 lbs is the PetSafe Stay and Play Wireless Fence.
In addition to costing over $100 more, the Stay and Play’s maximum coverage area is only 1.5 acres and wireless fences in general restrict you in ways that in-ground fences don’t.
With the Elite Little Dog you get a trustworthy system that’s jam packed with all the essential features and specifically designed for all our lovable tiny dogs.
Top that off with attention to safety and a reliable transmitter that can cover up to 25 acres you simply won’t find a better in-ground dog fence in the $200 price range.
Installation Details For The PIG00-10773
Installing this fence isn’t easy. You’re going to have to roll up your sleeves and break a sweat but that’s going to be the case with any in-ground pet fence. In comparison to similar models the Elite Little Dog is no more or less difficult.
While details of the installation process are beyond the scope of this article, in this section I want to cover the basics about one of the major components of the 10773: the transmitter.
The transmitter is the heart of your in-ground system and this PetSafe transmitter has indicator lights that let you know:
- Your system is powered up and ready to go
- That your boundary wire loop is OK
Indicator lights are an important feature to look for in an electric dog fence because they allow you to be sure that everything is working before you open the door and let your dog out.
The features on this fence will let you do that by simply peeking at the transmitter.
There are 2 controls you can set on the transmitter:
- Boundary Control Switch: This is set according to how much dog fence wire you’re using and there’s a handy little reference chart in the manual to help you choose the right setting.
- Boundary Width Control: This controls how close to the boundary wire your four legged friend can get before reciving a correction. With the 10773 you can adjust this distance anywhere from 1-12 feet.
In addition to the visual alarm, an audible alarm will also sound to let you know there’s a break in your wire.
How To Use The Elite Little Dog Petsafe Underground Fence Collar
As I’ve already mentioned, weighing in at only 2.5 oz the PIG00-10778 is the lightest and smallest receiver collar on the market.
Made out of nylon cloth with a quick release buckle the strap also has a reflective stripe that runs the length of it. A lot of reviews say that this can be particularly helpful if your dog has a dark coat or likes to play outside at night.
The collar requires one disposable proprietary battery and this is the one area where the PetSafe PIG00-10773 Elite Little Dog In-Ground Fence falls a bit short.
Proprietary batteries cost more and because the RFA-188 batteries are disposable, replacing them will add to the maintenance cost of your fence. Having said that, there is a cost effective compatible generic brand that many people use and you can find those details in the accessory section of this review.
The 10778 has a low battery warning light that will flash red to let you know the battery needs replacing. People who wrote a review on the Elite Little Dog said that the battery lasts anywhere from 2-4 months. And a nice feature is that you can turn the collar off when it’s not in use to help prolong the battery life.
Although the manufacturer claims the receiver collar is waterproof, I’d say it’s more water resistant because although it’s OK to get it wet, submerging it for any length of time will probably cause damage.
Most reviews say that the strap’s nylon material is quite durable but if it does wear out you won’t have to buy an entirely new collar because you can simply transfer the receiver unit onto any non metallic collar of your choosing.
The stainless steel contact points are what delivers a static correction when necessary and out of the box the collar comes with 1/2″ long probes. Longer 3/4″ probes can be purchased separately but most people say that the shorter probes work well even on longer haired dogs.
In addition to the beep only mode the PIG00-10778 receiver collar has 4 adjustable levels of static correction and there’s a button on the collar that allows you to set your pet’s correction level.
3 additional safety features of this PetSafe underground fence collar:
Run Through Prevention:
- Designed to ensure any attempt your dog makes to escape from the yard will be met with the maximum level of static correction
- Progressive correction so the closer your furry friend gets to the boundary wire, the stronger the intensity of the electric stimulation becomes
Over Correction Protection:
- Ensures your dog will never receive a static correction for longer than 30 seconds
- Automatically stops the electric stimulation after 30 seconds
- Prevents your pet from lingering in the Warning Zone in an attempt to drain the battery
- If your dog stays in the Warning Zone for longer than 2 seconds they’ll receive a static correction designed to make them leave the Warning Zone and return to the Safe Zone of the yard
Optional Accessories For The For The Elite Little Dog Fence
Dog Fencing Supplies:
PetSafe Wire and flag kit – PIG00-13769:
- Your fence kit comes with 500 ft of wire – enough to cover about 1/3 of an acre.
- The PetSafe wire and flag kit will extend your containment area to almost an acre.
Tip: To reduce the chance of wire breaks a lot of people upgrade to a heavier 14g or 16g wire at the time of purchase. If that interest you check out the details for a dog fence wire upgrade here.
The chart below tells you approximately how much total wire you’ll need but keep in mind that the amount will vary depending on how your layout.
Tip: If you’d rather not buy a kit all the components can easily be purchased separately at your local home improvement or hardware store. And doing it that way might even end up saving you some money. 😉
Dog Fence Staples (Pack of 100)
Dog Fence Staples:
These are excellent for either attaching your wire to an existing above ground fence or securing it to the ground. Staples can be purchased at most local hardware or home improvement stores or you can buy them online when you purchase your underground dog fence.
PetSafe Boundary Flags – RFA-2:
50 flags will be enough to cover about 3/4 of an acre when you’re training your dog. If you have a larger area to cover you’ll need more boundary flags. These come in a bundle of 50 flags.
PetSafe Replacement Collars:
The Elite Little Dog Fence can handle an unlimited number of dogs as long as they each have their own receiver collar. Here are your options for additional collars:
PetSafe Elite Little Dog Collar
PetSafe Elite Little Dog collar – PIG00-10778:
If you’re the proud owner of more than one little furry friend you’ll need to purchase additional PIG00-10778 receiver collars.
The majority of reviews indicate that this collar is used on dogs in the 5-50 lb range.
PetSafe Stubborn Dog Collar – PRF-275:
The PetSafe PRF-275 collar is the largest and strongest collar on the market and it’s meant for stubborn dogs that won’t respond to regular strength static corrections (eg Mastiffs and Pit Bulls).
This collar has 4 adjustable levels of higher intensity static correction plus a beep and vibrate only mode and most people recommend it for dogs weighing between 50-200 lbs.
Dog Collar Replacement Batteries:
PetSafe Dog Collar Battery – RFA-188 3v :
According to the reviews, people were replacing this proprietary battery every 2-3 months so it’s a good idea to stock up on them when you purchase your fence kit.
If you buy them individually, depending on where you buy them, they’ll run you about $10-$12 each. Buying them in this economy pack of 4 will save you about $10.
Fido’s Fences RFA-188 Batteries:
- Generic brand of RFA-67 batteries
- According to consumer reviews these generic brand batteries are very reliable
- Completely compatible with the Elite Little Dog collar
PetSafe Battery Replacement Plan: Although this option is more expensive, if the idea of auto shipping appeals to you PetSafe has a Battery Replacement Plan that gives you a discounted price and regular shipping in return for a ‘yearly subscription’.
Here are a couple more dog fence accessories worth considering:
Petsafe Collar Accessory Kit – RFA-529PetSafe Collar Accessory Pack – RFA-529:
This handy pack contains all the replacement parts for your receiver collar.
Includes both sizes of prongs and washers.
PetSafe Pet Fence Wire Break Locator Kit PetSafe Wire Break Detector – RFA-450:
It might not happen often but when it does, finding a break in your boundary wire can be a real hassle.
The RFA-450 is designed to help you locate a break more easily and most people said it worked well and was a huge time saver.
Electric Fence Dog Training
There’s no way around it…teaching your furry friend the new boundaries and training them to respect those boundaries is the most important aspect of owning an electric dog fence.
And without a doubt, the majority of people who took the time to train their dog properly ended up completely satisfied with this underground pet containment system.
For that reason I’ve written an entire article explaining how to train your dog to an electric dog fence and you can check it out if you want more details.